This website may contain affiliate links and advertising so that we can provide recipes to you. Read my disclosure policy.
This flavorful Chinese Chicken and Broccoli dish is made in just one pan and is ready in less than 30 minutes! Small pieces of tender chicken and broccoli florets are cooked in an irresistible sweet and savory sauce. Serve over rice with a sprinkle of sesame seeds and red pepper flakes for an amazing meal!
Stir fry recipes, like this one, are quick & easy to make, and so tasty! Perfect for weeknight meals. Korean beef, cashew chicken, and garlic chicken stir-fries are some other favorites that you should definitely try!
Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry
Dive into the incredible flavors of this Chinese Chicken and Broccoli stir fry! It’s a simple recipe packed with juicy chicken pieces and crisp-tender broccoli seasoned with garlic, ginger, and a stir fry sauce that’s slightly sweet, but mostly savory. Pair with a bowl of steamed rice (or for a low carb option, serve with cauliflower rice or zucchini noodles) for a dinner that’s just as good as anything you’d get in a restaurant.
When you’re craving those enticing Chinese flavors and you’re thinking about calling for takeout, give this chicken and broccoli stir fry recipe a try instead. This dish is so much fresher and you can control the ingredients to make it just how you’d like. The whole family will love it, and you’ll definitely want to add it to the normal dinner menu rotation!
Ingredients You’ll Need
The sauce for this dish is a simple combination of ingredients that you probably already have in the pantry, like chicken broth, brown sugar, soy sauce, sesame oil and cornstarch. Here’s everything you’ll need:
- Sesame Oil: Use this to cook the chicken and broccoli and also add richness and depth to the sauce.
- Chicken Breast: I used boneless chicken breasts cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Kosher Salt & Pepper: To season the chicken. Add more as needed, once you taste the finished dish.
- Garlic: Minced garlic is a must in any stir fry!
- Ginger Paste: Pairs nicely with the garlic to add a warm spiced taste.
- Broccoli: Wash and chop fresh broccoli florets into bite-sized pieces.
- Chicken Broth: Gives the sauce the right consistency and some savory flavor.
- Brown Sugar: For a hint of sweetness, use dark or light brown sugar. Both work but the dark brown sugar will add a deeper flavor.
- Soy Sauce: Use low-sodium soy sauce or regular, whichever you prefer.
- Oyster Sauce: Adds a depth of flavor to the dish with a sweet, salty, earthy taste.
- Cornstarch: To thicken the sauce, so it will properly coat the chicken and broccoli.
Chicken and Broccoli Recipe
Chicken and broccoli enveloped in a flavor-packed sauce is the perfect quick and easy dinner that the whole family will enjoy. Here’s the simple method to make it:
- Make the Sauce: In a small bowl, whisk together all of the sauce ingredients then set aside.
- Prep: Heat 1 tablespoon of sesame oil in a large wok or non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Cook the Chicken: Season the chicken with salt and pepper then add the chicken to the wok. Cook and sauté for 6 minutes until golden brown and no longer pink. Then remove the chicken from the wok and set aside.
- Cook Garlic and Ginger: Returning to the wok, add 1 tablespoon sesame oil, garlic, and ginger paste. Then cook for 30 seconds.
- Sauté the Broccoli: Add the broccoli florets and cook for 4 minutes until tender and browned on the outside then remove and set aside.
- Heat the Sauce: Returning to the wok, add the sauce. Heat the sauce over medium-high heat for 1-2 minutes. The sauce will cook and also start to thicken.
- Toss the Chicken and Broccoli With the Sauce: Add the cooked chicken and broccoli back to the wok with the sauce. Then stir to evenly coat the ingredients with the sauce and heat through for 3 minutes.
- Serve: Enjoy with rice and garnish with sesame seeds and red pepper flakes.
Tips and Variations
Here are some simple tips and ways to make this chicken and broccoli recipe your own! This is a family-favorite dinner, and I know your family will love it too!
- Use a Large Skillet or Wok: No worries if you don’t have a wok. A large non-stick skillet will work just as well.
- Plan Ahead: This recipe moves really quickly. It’s a good idea to have the sauce mixed, and the chicken, garlic and broccoli chopped before starting to cook.
- Adjust the Sauce: If you prefer a slightly sweeter sauce, add a bit more sugar. For a spicy sauce, add 1/4 teaspoon (or more) of red pepper flakes.
- Protein: Swap out the chicken for beef or shrimp, if that’s what you have available. Keep in mind, you will need to adjust the cooking time with different proteins.
- Veggies: Add bell peppers, sliced carrots or sliced mushrooms in with the broccoli for more veggie goodness.
- Serve With: We love to pair this meal with white rice or easy fried rice, air fryer cream cheese wontons, or egg rolls!
Chinese food is great left over! This chicken and broccoli is delicious warmed up the next day with some rice for a quick and easy lunch.
- In the Refrigerator: Store chicken and broccoli in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
- To Reheat: For best results, heat the chicken and broccoli on the stove over medium heat, stirring frequently until warmed through. You can also microwave servings in 30 second intervals, stirring in between each one.
Pin this now to find it later
In a small bowl, whisk together all of the sauce ingredients and set aside.
Heat 1 tablespoon of sesame oil in a large wok or non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
Season the chicken with salt and pepper then add the chicken to the wok. Cook and sauté for 6 minutes until golden brown and no longer pink. Remove the chicken from the wok and set aside.
Returning to the wok, add 1 tablespoon sesame oil, garlic, and ginger paste. Cook for 30 seconds.
Add the broccoli florets and cook for 4 minutes until tender and browned on the outside then remove and set aside.
Returning to the wok, add the sauce. Heat the sauce over medium-high heat for 1-2 minutes. The sauce will cook and start to thicken.
Add the cooked chicken and broccoli back to the wok with the sauce. Stir to evenly coat the ingredients with the sauce and heat through for 3 minutes.
Serve over rice and garnish with sesame seeds and red pepper flakes.
Serving: 1servingCalories: 319kcalCarbohydrates: 11gProtein: 39gFat: 13gSaturated Fat: 2gPolyunsaturated Fat: 4gMonounsaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0.02gCholesterol: 110mgSodium: 992mgPotassium: 881mgFiber: 2gSugar: 4gVitamin A: 477IUVitamin C: 63mgCalcium: 49mgIron: 1mg
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.