This website may contain affiliate links and advertising so that we can provide recipes to you. Read my disclosure policy.
Crockpot chicken and dumplings…the ultimate comfort meal ready when you get home! Tender chicken and vegetables topped with homemade dumplings. Easy to assemble and slow-cooked to perfection.
Crockpot recipes just make life easier! I love that I can start dinner before my day gets hectic. I can’t wait for you to try some of my go-to crockpot dinners. You’ll love this Olive Garden chicken, the beef and broccoli, or this potato soup.
What is Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings?
Classic chicken and dumplings is a creamy chicken and vegetable soup topped with uncooked dumplings. The biscuit-like dough is steamed and cooked through from the moisture of the soup. The dumplings add a soft cakey texture that complements the soup perfectly. Make this easy and comforting crockpot chicken and dumplings for your family. Everyone will love the slow-cooked chicken and veggies with soft homemade dumplings on top.
This delicious crockpot chicken and dumplings recipe calls only for the best ingredients. All the different vegetables, herbs, and tender chicken are what make this meal memorable. The exact measurements are included at the bottom to help you create this easy crockpot dinner.
Chicken and Vegetables
- Chicken: Boneless skinless chicken breasts.
- Yellow Onion: Onion is a classic flavor in chicken and dumplings.
- Celery: Adds a fresh taste and crunch.
- Carrots: An excellent source of fiber and texture.
- Unsalted Butter: I prefer unsalted butter, but salted butter works too.
- Chicken Broth: This is the base of the recipe, but it will eventually thicken because of the addition of flour.
- Green Beans: Adds more nutrition, flavor, and color.
- Oregano, Thyme, and Parsley: Seasoning with herbs will make all the difference because it brings out the flavors.
- Salt and Pepper: Season with salt and pepper to taste to help balance the flavors.
- All-Purpose Flour: This helps thicken the broth.
- All-Purpose Flour: The base of the dumplings.
- Baking Powder: This is the key to achieving the perfect dumpling mixture.
- Coarse Salt: A little goes a long way but also enhances the flavor.
- Fresh Parsley: The addition of parsley dumplings adds flavor.
- Unsalted Butter: Use cold butter that has been cut into cubes.
- Whole Milk: The higher fat content in the milk creates fluffier dumplings.
Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings Recipe
This easy crockpot recipe only takes 20 minutes to prepare and then the crockpot does all the work! It’s perfect for those busy days. Follow my step-by-step instructions below on the recipe card.
Chicken and Vegetables
- Add the Chicken, Vegetables, and Butter to the Crockpot: To a crockpot, add the chicken breasts, onion, carrots, and green beans. Place the cubed butter over the top of the chicken and vegetables.
- Whisk the Broth, Herbs, Salt, Pepper, and Flour: In a medium bowl, whisk together the chicken broth, oregano, thyme, parsley, salt, and pepper. Gradually add ⅓ cup flour into the broth and whisk to avoid clumps.
- Pour in the Broth Mixture: Pour the broth over the chicken and vegetables.
- Cook: Place on the lid and cook on high for 3-4 hours. Cook until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Shred the Chicken: After the chicken has cooked, remove it from the crockpot. Shred or chop the chicken depending on your preference.
- Add Back the Chicken and Whisk in the Remaining Flour: Whisk in the remaining ⅓ cup flour to thicken the gravy then add the chicken back to the crockpot.
- Combine the Flour, Baking Powder, Salt, and Parsley: In a large bowl, add the flour, baking powder, coarse salt, and fresh parsley.
- Cut in the Butter and Stir in the Milk: Cut in the butter until evenly distributed. Then, stir the milk into the dumpling mixture.
- Drop the Dumpling Mixture on Top of the Soup: Lastly, drop spoonfuls of the dumpling mixture on top of the chicken and vegetables in the crockpot.
- Cover and Cook: Cover then allow the dumplings to cook through completely. About 1-1 ½ hours or until cooked through.
- Garnish With Parsley and Enjoy: Once the dumplings are cooked through, garnish with additional fresh parsley and enjoy!
Tips For Making Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings
This recipe is so incredibly easy, so don’t be intimidated! You can also prep the ingredients ahead of time to make it even easier. Follow my tips below to give you the most success.
- Prep the Veggies: Chop the veggies ahead of time! The veggies can sit in the fridge until you’re ready to throw your dinner in the crockpot. Having them prepped ahead of time makes assembly a breeze!
- Fresh Herbs: I prefer to use fresh herbs when I make this dish, but dried herbs also work great! Because fresh herbs always enhance the flavors.
- Dumpling Tips: Keep the lid on because it helps to steam the dumplings. The dumplings will look cakey, however, they will be cooked through.
This crockpot chicken and dumplings recipe makes a big batch, so definitely store those leftovers! You’ll love having leftovers to enjoy for lunch the next day. However, you might have to fight over them because everyone will want them!
- In the Refrigerator: Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. I store my dumplings right with the chicken and vegetables. No need to separate them.
- To Reheat: Pop leftovers in the microwave for 30-second intervals or until warmed through. You can also warm it over the stove on medium heat! Warm leftovers are the best!
Pin this now to find it later
Chicken and Vegetables
To a crockpot, add the chicken breasts, onion, carrots, and green beans. Place the cubed butter over the top of the chicken and vegetables.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the chicken broth, oregano, thyme, parsley, salt and pepper to taste. Gradually add ⅓ cup flour into the broth and whisk to avoid clumps.
Pour the broth over the chicken and vegetables.
Set the crockpot to high and cover, cook for 3-4 hours, until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
Once the chicken is cooked through, remove it from the crockpot. Shred or chop the chicken depending on your preference.
Whisk in the remaining ⅓ cup flour to thicken the gravy. Add the chicken back to the crockpot.
In a large bowl, add the flour, baking powder, coarse salt, and fresh parsley.
Cut in the butter until evenly distributed then stir in milk.
Drop spoonfuls of the dumpling mixture on top of the chicken and vegetables in the crockpot.
Cover and allow the dumplings to cook through completely, about 1-1 ½ hours.
Once the dumplings are cooked through, garnish with additional fresh parsley and enjoy!
Calories: 349kcalCarbohydrates: 32gProtein: 22gFat: 15gSaturated Fat: 8gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0.5gCholesterol: 83mgSodium: 926mgPotassium: 536mgFiber: 2gSugar: 3gVitamin A: 826IUVitamin C: 8mgCalcium: 100mgIron: 3mg
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.